How often have you heard someone say "it's like Tinder, but for X"? I hear this both from people who use apps, and people who make them. I remember when I launched Coverless, someone once described it to me as "Tinder for books".
This got me thinking - what else could I make that is like Tinder, but for a different market? Or even more generally, if you took a mash-up of two different apps, what would you be inspired to build?
- "It's like Spotify but for ..."
- "Imagine BBC News, but for ..."
- "Take the concept of RealEstate.com.au, but apply it to..."
I'm sure that you will come up with some really fun and powerful ideas. To help you get started, I made a little website that will randomly show you two apps - it's called Two Random Apps.
If you want, you can limit one of the apps to Tinder - just click here and keep hitting the refresh button for a new app. Some the ones I've seen are:
- Tinder for betting
- Tinder for choosing a travel destination
- Tinder for p2p jokes
Try it for your own app
In general, if you want to generate some inspiration for a particular app:
- Get the iTunes ID for the app (you can do this by looking at the iTunes store page URL https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/london-tube-tracker/id441139371?mt=8) - you just need the number.
- Put the ID in the URL like so: http://TwoRandomApps.com/?app1=441139371.
Note: At the moment, only the top 200 apps in each category of the UK store are available.
Too Many Games
After a while of using this, I felt like there were too many games being suggested. This is fine if you're looking for inspiration here, but I wasn't. To limit the app suggestions to genres you're interested in, I added a "Apps will be chosen from the following App Store genres" section, which allows you to include or exclude particular genres to your hearts content.
Leave a comment if you get inspired by something!